Windows 7 does not have a "Never Combine, Hide Labels" option in the taskbar settings, but a lot of people would like to have this option. I have not seen instructions posted anywhere, so here is how to make Windows 7 never group taskbar icons but also hide the labels:
- Go to your taskbar properties and set Taskbar Buttons to "Never Combine".
- Launch Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
- Create a new String Value and call it MinWidth.
- Modify the string properties and set the value to 56.
- Restart your computer, and now Windows 7 will never combine
icons, but it will also hide the labels.
If you are unhappy with the changes simply delete the MinWidth key and change back to "Always Combine, Hide Labels"
I hope this helps some of you out.