neděle 1. března 2015

Why did I resignate on writing thorough SQL translater

While it's easy to translate common stddev_samp into stdev when MSSQL is used, the situation can get more complicated. The first level of complication are time data types. Let's consider adding a month to the date several databases:
  1. MSSQL: DATEADD(MONTH, @amount, @date)
  2. MySQL: DATE_ADD(@date, INTERVAL @amount MONTH)
  3. Oracle: ADD_MONTHS(@date, @amount)
  4. PostgreSQL: (@date + INTERVAL '@amount MONTH')
Now, it's not mere find and replace (once we get rid of entities).

The second level of complication are missing functions like correlation:

(Avg(@numericalColumn * @timeColumn) - Avg(@numericalColumn) * Avg(@timeColumn)) / (StdDev_Samp(@numericalColumn) * StdDev_Samp(@timeColumn)) "@columnName"


It's verbose, but doable. However, there is so many functions, for example, in Oracle, that it would be too much work for one person to reach completeness. And if I can't do it myself, I have to rely on the work of others. And if I am relying on the work of others, I have to make it as approachable as possible.  

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat